St Nicholas Cathedral

Client: St Nicholas Cathedral

Work is underway to replace the roof of the Thomlinson Library at Newcastle’s St Nicholas Cathedral.

At the same time, a careful masonry consolidation programme is being carried out on 250 square metres of the Cathedral’s sandstone walls. This restoration work to conserve St Nicholas Cathedral has been made possible by a £150,000 grant from the First World War Centenary Cathedral Repairs Fund – which is money from Government administered by the Archbishop’s Council.

Seaton Delaval Hall

Client: National Trust

Built between 1719 and 1730 for Admiral George Delaval, it is not only the finest house in the north east of England, but also among the finest works of its architect, Sir John Vanbrugh, one of the masters of English Baroque. This has been a huge and important project for Team Force Restoration and has took more than 4 years to complete, in a process of three phases. Throughout the project public engagement has been paramount even attracting the attention of ITV who were already on site filming for the new series of ‘More Tales from Northumberland’ with Robson Green.

Beadnell Lime Kilns

Client: National Trust

Team Force Restoration repairs the iconic Beadnell Lime Kilns.

Three lime kilns the earliest built in 1789, are East of Beadnell Harbour. The Nation Trust raised concerns about the dangers of the structure, following the partial collapse of the most southerly kiln on the seaward side.


Lindisfarne Priory, Holy Island

Client: English Heritage

The monument had suffered the harsh salt air weather conditions . The erosion was also further exasperated by the re-pointing work carried out during the early 1920s where hard cementatious pointing had replaced the traditional lime mortars. The project aimed to make it structurally sound and functional, while at the same time considering authenticity and aesthetic appearance.


Coquet Island

Client: RSPB

A mile off the exposed Northumberland coast is Coquet Island, a 16-acre bird sanctuary and Site of Special Scientific Interest with no public access except from the vantage of a circling boat or from stories and artists. The project aim was to ensure the quality of the conservation is not be compromised by work on a site restricted by fickle weather and precarious access.

Risk Register

Team Force Restoration has successfully removed Coquet Island from the English Heritage at Risk Register in 2014.


Black Barn

Client: Owners, English Heritage and Northumberland County Council

We have done it again! We are proud to announce Black Barn has won the precious RICS Building Conservation Award, this has been a very successful end to a sensitive building.

Team Force Restoration has already won both the Construction Excellence North East Award 2014 and the National Construction Excellence Award 2014 for our restoration work on Black Barn.

Black Barn is the last known example of an original heather thatched roof in England. An archaeologically sensitive site, Listed Grade II on accounts of its extreme rarity with original heather. The building is regarded by English Heritage as a national importance. Team Force Restoration were honoured to restore this building.

Risk Register

Furthermore, Team Force Restoration has successfully removed Black Barn from the English Heritage at Risk Register in 2014.

St. Matthews Church, Newcastle upon Tyne

Client: St Matthews Church

The grade II* church is one of the finest Victorian churches in the North East and its elevated position makes a strong contribution to the city skyline.

Built in two phases the nave first in 1880, followed by the tower and western aisles in 1905.

St. Laurence’s Church Hallgarth Lane, Pittington

Client: St. Laurence’s Church

Replacement Tracery and Stained Glazing Repairs.

A partially collapsed roof above the Clerestory window and stone decay through water ingress.

St Andrews Church Winston

Client: English Heritage

St Andrews Church in Winston is a grade 1 listed building. It is a parish church built in the mid 13th century and was restored by John Dobson in 1848.

The Church was suffering from subsidence and had many structural defects within the west Chancel gable wall.